06 August 2007

Lunch Trip

On a sunny Saturday noon, I meet up with a bunch of ex colleagues for lunch.


On the way, see the hills on the horizon?


If you managed to see this mosque at a T-junction, you're on the right track. Make sure you do a left at this junction.


Err... what is this place? Farm? Construction site? I thought we're having lunch?


Ahh, actually it's the famous beggar chicken place in Bukit Jugra.


We're early I guess... reached there right on the time when they starts operating (1pm).


The menu. As you can see, things are not really something you would consider cheap. :P


This is the oh-so-famous beggar chicken. The sauce according to my friends tastes a little like bakuteh, probably due to the herbs used. I find the sauce a tad too salty. Meat is ok, tender and juicy.


Traditional rice, which is glutinous rice with mushrooms and dried oysters etc. Very nicely compacted. A word of caution, this stuff is yummy and VERY filling.


Beggar pork leg. Soft and tender meat covered in juicy fatty skin. Reminds me of bakuteh. Haha.


Traditional fish. This dish is quite interesting as they dig out the flesh from the fish while retaining the skin. Then the flesh is mashed and made into fish paste then filled back into the fish. Too bad the one that we had smells fishy, kinda spoiled the taste a little.

Overall I love the rice the most. Followed by the pork and the chicken. The fish, probably because of the fishy smell, is not something I fancy. Oh we also ordered a pig stomach soup, which by the time it came, I've forgotten to take pictures. But you'll get the idea :P

Pricing wise, it's considered expensive to me as this is pretty much the price of KL. I guess it could be due to the tedious task required to prepare the dishes. Of course no harm trying it once in a while, especially if you haven't tried before, but definitely not some place you'd go frequently unless you stay in Banting or somewhere nearby. It takes about close to an hour to get there just from Klang.

Oh and last but not least, make sure you order in advance of about 2 days if you do plan to have a visit there. When the bill came, behind there's even a URL address and a map of how to get there. The website will display the number to call, the operating hours, as well as some pictures.

*Disclaimer: this is not a PPP :P *

13 comments:

rainbow angeles said...

Waaa... RM43 for the chicky? But mana itu Bukit Jugra? Banting, izit? I think my mom also got tell me b4... cos got TV kai siao ma... wah, hv to order 2 days ahead?? Really pa pai wor...

That lormaifan looks black... sure yummy.. that's our analogy.. the blacker it is, the yummier it gets... :p

Cocka Doodle said...

Where is Bukit Jugra?

Will said...

angel: bukit jugra is about 20-25 minutes away from banting town, just follow the Jugra sign... ya the one TV got kai siao...

cocka: it's somewhat southern part of selangor... about 20-25 mins drive from banting town

Blueyebabe said...

what is that restaurant's name?
丐帮名菜叫化餐厅?

Wyn said...

uuuuwahhhh...selap oh...

nak pigi...

Will said...

blueyebabe: yup that's right... you can find more info on their site

meow: ask your woof to bring you there la hehe

may said...

I don't know what possessed me to read that as "this mosquito at a T-junction..." LOLOL!!

the herbs they use - premium, izit? RM43 is a lot to pay for the chicken ler. even for KL price... no?

Winn said...

looks good.
poor chicky
poor pig
poor fishy
hope they die in peace, tho already in pieces.

Anonymous said...

I thought the fish suppose to smell of fish
:P
Heh heh heh
I think the menu spoils it as I think almost all their dishes has the signature beggar there
It's not so special when all their food taste more or less the same minus the meat taste

Will said...

may: haha mosquito? LOL... yes it is quite expensive indeed, even for KL standard I guess

winn winn: you forgot to say poor mushroom in the rice :P

zero: erm, fishy as in, erm, how you call it, 鱼腥味... well they call it the beggar style because the food gets wrapped in some paper and then mud and then they burn it... taste wise is not the same, at least for the chicken and the pork.

CFC said...

Hey! That's the place I went in the mid-90's! But I forgot where it was, just somewhere from Klang, though.

Can't open the map.......... aiya

Blueyebabe said...

cfc, bring me along! bring me along!

Will said...

cfc: it's not that hard to find...

blueyebabe: haha :D

Post a Comment