26 February 2007

9th Day of CNY - 初九

Today feels more Chinese New Year than the first day, at this hour (1:20am) I can still hear fireworks blasting out there like a carnival is going on right now. Today marks an important day for the Hokkien people (me included) as it is the biggest day for us, not to mention that the place I stay is full of Hokkien people.

The legend goes that once upon a time, the Hokkien people are being pursued by enemies on the 9th Day of CNY. So as they flee, they prayed to the almighty god (Jade Emperor in this case) for help. God answered their prayers, and they came upon a large sugar cane field. So they went into hiding inside the field. With that, they managed to escape from the enemies. That is why Hokkien people celebrate the 9th day of CNY grander than any other day, and if you notice, many of them have sugar canes as part of the offerings.

The above story is based on hearsay, so correct me if I'm wrong. Now I'm off to sleep... good night all :D

8 comments:

rainbow angeles said...

Aik.. I thought they had to hide in the sugar cane field for dunno how long and when they came out from it, sudah 8 days orang celebrate CNY and that's why only then they can celebrate, so ma celebrate secara grandly? No ah?

Happy Pai Thnee Kong! But u sudah tido... apalah...

Winn said...

i dunno abt this story one. i oso hokkien leh......who doesnt speak hokkien apparently...

but hor, angel mia story sounds like real leh. ur story ar? remains hearsay :P hahaha

eh the hokkien enermies are non hokkien ar?

good morning liao

Will said...

angel: err... something like that... i also not completely clear... need to find more info online :P

winn winn: ya the hokkien enemies are non hokkien

good morning

moz monster said...

I only know the sugar cane part is true ... go wiki it up lah !!! Nowadays, people everything also wiki ...

may said...

I'm like moz, the sugar cane bit sounds right. the rest of the story, I don't really know.

*chews on some sugar cane*

Chen said...

the fireworks yesterday night are very annoying leh..
kacau my sleep
dah lah today first day working after long leaves :D
2 am liao still pili palang out there :P

tlc said...

first time i get to know this story, see, this is certainly not a fountain of useless information but can transform to be a encyclopedia?

kyh said...

it's willipedia... :P

Post a Comment